Happy Wednesday, Bloggies!
It’s been a very slow week so far, starting with a weekend where I did LITERALLY nothing, followed by my boss’s absence for the past few days, and reaching a high (low) point of drudgery with the thorough thumping of my Wahoo baseball team last night. In my random perusal of friends’ blogs, I found some wonderful “food porn” on fellow Ugly Betty lover Dobbers’ blog (her first name is Anna, but what’s a clever nickname between friends?) . Using an apparently new camera, Dobbers photographed a yummy looking salad and produced some stunning pictures. Drawing inspiration (and a sense of purpose) from her pictures, I set off into the Blogosphere in search of some new recipes to try–ones that are in some way unique or outside my usual comfort zone of cooking or eating. I made two immediate discoveries: 1. There are MILLIONS of blogs in the world, and 2. Seventy-five percent of those blogs are entirely about FOOD. Yum! This made my self-imposed challenge incredibly easy.
In about 15 minutes, I found five recipes that I am just dying to try. I will post them here, and will at some point over the course of the summer endeavor to cook them and report back. Hopefully this mission will push me out of this week’s slow-slump and also arm me with some new recipes to use in a pinch.
- Deviled Eggs with Basil Aioli & Fried Capers. Um, if you don’t love deviled eggs, you need to give your tastebuds a stern lecture and whip them back in line. Surprisingly easy to make, I find myself craving deviled eggs daily around the 3 o’clock witching hour at work. I have a struggling basil plant sitting on my windowsill at home which would, I’m assuming, like nothing more than to be pureed into an undoubtedly delicious aioli for my tasting pleasure.
- Vanilla Milk & Chocolate Ice. This is a stretch for me because I don’t like milk. I saw the picture, however, and read the french blog (charmingly translated) and had to have it. Just look at this:
- Quinoa Burger. I am so obsessed with quinoa right now that I put it in everything. Last night I put it in my salad; I have have quinoa flakes to sprinkle on my oatmeal. So while this is in no way out of my comfort zone, it’s much more complicated and measured than the veggie burgers I’ve been making are. I think I’ll eat this broken up over some greens, or even with a fried egg on top– either way, I will let you know!
- Ratatouille Pizza. I saw this and initially thought it would be a great thing to take into work for lunch– make it on Sunday, and box it up every morning! But then I came to my senses and realized that this pizza is was too gorgeous to get tossed around in a tupperware container before being eaten; it should be the star of a summer dinner party, served on a big wooden cutting board (I have just the one!) with wineglasses brimming with a chardonnay. Since it has tons of veggies on it, there’s no need for a salad–entertaining could not be easier!
- One Ingredient Ice Cream. Wait, WHAT?! Can this be real?? This recipe doesn’t even require an ice cream maker–it was meant specifically for me to make. The mystery ingredient–bananas! Love.
Well there you have it: my random list of must-try recipes. What do you think? Is there anything you think should be added?
Coming up in my life: a big surprise on Friday; Allison’s birthday celebration on Saturday; BFF Colleen comes home from England on Tuesday; and a free Zumba class next Wednesday.